View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see a problem in an author, publisher or bookseller packaging ebooks with printed books for a discount if they so desire. If I actually sold printed copies of my novels, I'd consider it too.

I do disagree, though, with the implied sentiment by some that an ebook is somehow of less (or no) value compared to a printed book. I see ebooks as a greater value than printed books, because of their higher portability and flexibility, and lower production and distribution costs. I have the same opinion regarding MP3s and CDs or albums. So suggesting that the physical media is somehow better or more valuable than the digital media is, to my thinking, backwards.

Regarding format-shifting: Yes, doing it yourself (and not allowing others to obtain copies, nor obtaining others' copies) is the only legal way to do it. True, it's a lot more of a pain in the neck with books, but that doesn't allow you to circumvent the law, any more than you are allowed to leave the road and drive through private property just because it's a shorter distance to your destination.

In short, I don't see that any consumer has a "right" to get a free product because they bought a different format of that same product. But any seller has the "right" to offer their product in bundles, discounts or deals if they so choose.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 07-25-2011 at 10:32 AM.