View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Wet Coast
Wet Coast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Wifi
My reasons:
1. I was looking for a fairly basic reader
2. ePub, I wanted epub support and not be locked into a single seller & ability to borrow from library. Husband has a Kindle and I didn't want to be restricted to one bookstore.
3. Price - Over $100 less than husband's Kindle at time of purchase
4. Ecosystem, I like the idea of portability of my ebooks from my Kobo eReader
5. eInk
6. Bluetooth connectivity to smartphone on occasion

I have been happy with the reading experience on the Kobo, but not with Kobo's undelivered promises - namely Bluetooth is limited to a few Blackberry models. A very nice lady from customer service has been trying to sort out the "misinformation" I received when I preordered, but I have come to the conclusion there is a huge disconnect between what the Kobo development team tells the Kobo customer service team. I think the customer service team gets as frustrated as the customers do. In one e-mail, I was told the new Blackberry Torch will sync wirelessly with Kobo, then the next day I rec'd a follow up saying that was wrong. Also, Blackberry 0S 6 will not wirelessly sync with Kobo. If you are planning on buying an ereader, and don't care about BT connectivity or (the promised for summer 2010) newspaper service, then the Kobo at a reduced price is a nice reader. With the Kobo, what you see is what you get - don't expect the promised features to materialise "soon" and you won't be disappointed.
Wet Coast is offline   Reply With Quote