View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #128
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you talking about DVD region coding, Jon? That's nothing new; you can't buy a region 2 DVD from the UK and play it on your region 1 DVD player, and I can't do the opposite.
I think he's referring to the HD-DVD fiasco in another thread, about how a recent HD-DVD was released with an updated DRM scheme that many manufacturers had yet to implement (or even start thinking about) just yet.

Regarding region-locked DVD's, I think this is still a throw-back to bygone days that should simply be abandoned. Why bother locking out sales of a DVD from potential buyers, online companies flourish with overseas markets so many region-locked DVD's end up becoming magically available on eBay with such impressive packaging you wouldn't know you were purchasing a bootleg. Yet the other region region-locking should be done away with, the counterfeiters can already remove this, so why bother? They, he powers that be, have vaguely lifted the lock by expanding/merging many regions with the latest iteration; i.e., BD-DVD's, so much of the world fall under the most common region.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote