View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #182
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
When I first heard about Twilight I assumed I would Hate it. I figured it would end up being like Ane Rice's Interview with the Vampire which I did not like at all.
I finally decided to give them a try because I kept hearing people say how good it was. I was hooked within the first four chapters. I read all four books in three days getting only about four hours of sleep each night. When I was done with them I finally got some sleep but as soon as I woke up I read them again Slowly as to not miss anything.
When I was done with the series I started to look for other Vampire books to read and I found a couple- read them and HATED them.
My point is until you read a book you won't know if you like it.Take Moby Dick most people would not want to read about a whale assuming it would be boring, and it might be boring for some but for others it might be interesting but you don't know until you try to read it.
I have always said I hated SciFi and would never read it but Twilight taught me that you can not always assume you won't like something just because its a category that does not interest you because you might be surprised and end up finding a book that ends up being one of your favorites.
(By the way what makes a writer a professional? I assumed Stephenie Myers was a professional writer since she gets paid,and paid very well.)
To answer your last point first: getting paid makes a writer a professional. I don't believe anyone has said she's not a professional, I know I haven't. The consensus I have seen is that while she's written a series that really resonates with a lot of people, it also contains a lot of technical flaws. While those flaws don't matter to a lot of readers, they may prevent the book from becoming a classic.

Again though, the only way to know if a book's going to be a classic is wait fifty or a hundred years and see if it's still popular.

I'm glad you liked the books. I didn't. I couldn't finish the first and won't read the others. I'll still buy any future ones, because others in the household do like them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote