View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These are negotiations, hence there are two sides. What "demands" is Canada making on the EU as far as copyright is concerned? We seem to have only heard one side of the story.
Actually what was leaked was a draft of the agreement after the first round of negotiations. The post is just Michael Geist's interpretation of what the EU demands were.

Quote:
This document presents a draft for a bi-lateral trade agreement between the European Union and Canada. The draft has been circulated widely amongst DG trade officials and members of the EU parliament. It appears to be similar to the EU-South Korea treaty.
I agree with you. In any negotiation there is a lot thrown in that both sides don't really want and it's used to show concession and compromise. My question is why this is still on the table. It should have been thrown out immediately as a non starter. I blame the Canadian government for that.

My speculation is that the Canadian government wants it in there so that when they present the next Canadian copyright bill they can claim that they don't have a choice. "The international community is demanding it in two separate trade agreements [cough] that we negotiated [/cough]."

Time will tell if my cynical assessment is correct.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote