Thread: Free ebooks
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
As said by others, a free first book may make it more likely for me to pick it up in the first place (e.g. for a new author or something that sounds like a "maybe but not generally my thing"), but a book being free has very little relevance to whether I'll buy more from that author or not - if I enjoyed it a lot, I'm likely to buy more from the author.

There is a slight chance, especially if it's a self-published author or an author whose work tends to be free on a regular basis, that I might opt to stick their others books in my wishlist and get them when it's their turn to be free - but (a) this only happens if I found the first free book enjoyable but average (i.e. "wouldn't buy more; might get more if free"), and (b) I'm more likely to do that with authors who are no longer with us but still under copyright, because I don't feel entirely comfortable to try and get every book by a still-living author for free (I'm not at all judging anyone who does so, not the least because this is something authors and publishers who do regular free books need to consider and hopefully word of mouth and reader recs pay off eventually.).

In general, though, I have so many unread books already that unless it's a "wow, I want to read more right now" sort of experience, I'm likely to just stick some other books in the wishlist anyway, as a sort of reminder to myself, and probably not actually buy them any time soon.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote