View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #35
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
There were two versions of the PBS series The Civil War on Barnes and Noble, one was plain text and the second was enhanced. The enhanced one only works on the Nook Color which is an Android tablet. It cost $2 more.

I thought it was useful and interesting to hear the Civil War era music, hear the voices of authorities like Shelby Foote and watch short video clips but for me, the new enhancement came to life with the maps. General Sherman once said that war was all about troop movements. The animated battle maps made those movements clear like no text-only book I've ever seen.

I'd love to see this technique used to explain important moments in military history from Hannibal to Napoleon. I've never been able to follow naval warfare but with animated maps to show how the fleets and individual ships moved relative to each other, perhaps I can grasp what happened. The movement of the lines of forces coming up and turning into little dots for individual units as they redeploy caught my eye. The text described who was moving and which day it happened.

It's probably worth noting that it took a color 7-inch Android tablet running ePub to pull this off.
I don't know how I feel about a soundtrack in a book, rarely do I listen to music while I read. There are, however, valid and extremely helpful areas in which to have the enhanced content and you just gave a perfect example. I read a large amount of history and things like animated maps would be hugely welcome. Of course, then I would need something other than my K3 to read them, but I don't hate the idea of that either.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote