View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The volume of piracy does matter, but just what is the volume? We don't know, and we can't know. There's no way to measure it.
Of course there is, bar usenet. Get an account on the common ebook trackers (and most have public domain sections so you can maintain an account without breaking the law), and check the numbers.

Quote:
No, I'm stuck in a "How do I survive?" mindset.
*points at Baen*

Quote:
But if the publisher holds off on ebook release, how does pirating occur? There isn't an electronic file to pirate, so pirates are reduced to scan and OCR to produce the electronic edition. I've seen some of those. I wouldn't take them free.
In many cases, even with PD works converted that way, the quality is higher thanks to the time people put into them than the "official" ebooks, IME. (And I don't mind admitting I've gone to the darknet twice when the official ebook was completely unreadable)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote