View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #15040
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I read another couple of the Mignon Eberhart's mysteries that I picked up cheap in late November. Nice old fashioned mysteries that I'd missed out on (probably were out of print during my ravenous mystery consuming years) and am enjoying now.

Jeffrey Deaver delivered as usual in Roadside Crosses, the second thriller to feature Kathryn Dance, kinesiologist cop. I like Dance's focus on the psychology and personality types of those she interacts with.

I gorged on some Agatha Christie over Christmas, And Then There Were None and Crooked House. Unfortunately I remembered whodunnit partway through ATTWN. I know some people consider ATTWN one of Christie's best, but I prefer those with Poirot. Crooked House is one of the best small cast family murder mysteries; it captured Christie's trademark paranoia and claustrophobia and the ending was a shocker.

Some of my library holds showed up all at once, so I zoomed through Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I'd seen the movie of Cold Comfort Farm and reading the book explained some of the whys and wherefores that the movie didn't delve into, but the story wasn't as entertaining as I was hoping. Gone Girl was twisted, literally, but a few shockers wasn't enough to overcome my irritation with the annoying characters. Unbroken was so engrossing that I couldn't put it down and I read the whole 500+ pages in one day. The POW sections were horrible and wonderful at the same time. Now I'm really looking forward to listening to Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit which I bought last month during an Audible sale.

I skimmed Persuasion. I like Austen's stories, but prefer them as movies since they skip the interminable descriptions leading up to events.

Last edited by Synamon; 01-01-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote