View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
What annoyed me a little bit was the fact that the men not so much were willing to live WITH the nature they found, but rather that they wanted to change everything, make themselves the masters of the island. At least that was the feeling I had, but I realize of course that the book was written in a different time, a time were people were feeling very positiv towards technological progress.
This bothered me too. They always seemed to be saying, "Look! A new animal! Let's kill it and eat it!" Of course, when I read this book as a teenager in the early 1970's, I don't remember this being a concern for me. I suspect it's more a by-product of our changing times. We're more aware of environmental issues now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Of course, it's always possible that they only planned their prison escape with like-minded friends.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote