View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathandt2 View Post
Lots of help in deed...

I have just purchased a book and uploaded it to my 1100, working great.

Now my next question is, most of the books i'm looking for do not come in .rb format. Can I buy them in another format and convert it? If so which format will convert easily?

Or is it better for me to sell this one and get something else?

Jonathan
This is a difficult question to answer. Let me try to be objective about my answer although, ultimately, I will fail in the end.

I, too, have an 1100 and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I think most people like these old 1100s and the "newer" [rebranded] ebookwise 1150 because it allows one to read at night. Ergonomics is also listed as an important factor. (Occasionally, one will encounter here on this forum the disgruntled reader who dislikes the new e-ink technology because it's not backlit. In one sense, these illogically thinking people are paying homage to the 1100s and the earlier Readers from other companies from that era.)

As I stated, I like my 1100. I use it in conjunction with my Sony PRS-505, but the 1100 just cannot compete for my reading tastes regarding availability of books that I enjoy. I also love the screen on my Sony PRS-505.

It is true that most of the newer books do not come in the .rb format. The fact is, the .rb and .imp format are dead formats, kept alive - somewhat - by Fictionwise [Ebookwise]. My opinion about Fictionwise - this parent company - is that it is a great company as my posts here on MobileRead will attest. They've kept the .rb format from completely dying out. And they're committed to the .imp format; however, the question is, for how long. We know they're looking into an e-ink device in order to pull in more readers [buyers] to their site.

Now, this is my REALLY biased opinon: I would keep the device and buy an e-ink device to go along with your 1100. Read the forums. One editor here loves his Gen3. I love my Sony PRS-505.

Our reading devices are like wives whom we love, even though they're crazy to live with: We don't want to get rid of them, [the Readers, I now mean] even if they do occasinally reset or can't bookmark, or have faulty controls, or dead batteries, or run out of cases because someone is incapable of doing simple math... (OK, that was a cheap shot.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote