View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #123
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Also, projected movies in theaters are reflected light. So there goes the "transmitted vs. reflected" theory.

I can buy flicker arguments, except that there's no flicker on LED-backlit LCD panels like Kindle Fires and Apple iPads rendering static text. I can buy sheer brightness level concerns, though that means you're not configuring your device properly. I can even buy issues when reading black-on-white (switch to night mode, already, even for daytime reading). But all of that just means you're not using your device properly. It'd be like complaining that you can't read a paper book because it's dark out and you didn't turn on a light. The problem is with the user, not the medium*.

* Note that there is one source of problem with the medium that can't be adjusted by the user, and that's ppi (pixels per inch). The only way to solve that is to buy a better device. Luckily, 150ppi is generally a good threshold above which reading is comfortable on an LCD device, and the Kindle Fire, Nook Color/Tablet, iPad 3, and most smartphones are well above that. iPad 1/2, other Android tablets, and pretty much every desktop or laptop monitor are well below that, often significantly (like 100ppi or less). That is why reading on a PC is uncomfortable
You can argue all day -- the point is, that is not the way a great majority of us (as this poll demonstrates) experience it. I personally tried everything with LCDs. There is no way they will be as comfortable as e-ink for MY eyes -- whatever the actual reason for it is. I don't see why you are always so zealous to convert people to LCD/LED reading?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote