View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #53
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Well, right now I have my HD+ open, running Nook stock (haven't done anything to it at all to customize) and my HD with android.

On my android screen for settings I have tabs for
Wireless & Networks
Interface, including launcher, lockscreen, themes, and system, all of which have numerous options within them
Device, with buttons for sound, display, storage, apps and battery, again each has multiple things within each button
Personal - Profiles (Night, home, silent, work), Location access, security, language & input, backup & reset
Accounts -
System - date/time, accessibility,developer options, performance (can change clock speed, customize memory usage, etc), about tablet
Most of those settings are also available on the HD/HD+ stock -- at least the main ones. What I can see is different are themes (do you really use that?) different profiles for work, home etc. (but you can get that on stock with the Llama app); and changing clock speed (again, do you really use that?).

What exactly do you do with your HD and the custom ROM that you can't do with with HD+?

You do know that the stock HD/HD+ is running ICS 4.0.4 under the covers, don't you? So most of what you can do with a custom ROM, you can do with the stock OS, either natively or with a Play Store add-on.

Quote:
As for the recent drawer, when I tap that, all I get is the whole list of apps on my tablet, not only things I've just opened. With Android I can open 3-4 things and switch back and forth between them without closing out or backing out of the one I'm in. I am not sure what happens in the Nook mode - if you open, say Netflix and then use the drawer to access something else, is Netflix still running in the background or does it close?
The most recently accessed apps should be in the front in the Recent Drawer. And, yes, you can switch back and forth in the stock OS without losing your place in the various apps. I believe this is an android thing. It keeps the 3-4 most recently accessed apps running in the background always, unless you back out of them with the software back button.

Quote:
As for the kitschy icons I'm referring to the default green parrot and green apple that showed up on mine. I know they can be changed; I did it on my HD before I got the android card, but why do they even use such cheesy things to begin with unless they are aiming at kids?
I put my own icons there. They are there because the HD/HD+ are meant for multiple profiles, so just like Windows, it allows each user to have his or her own icon. It doesn't bother me because I use a custom icon.

Quote:
Or why not include some nice themes that are easily changeable? I've read on the regular B&N forums sometimes and find a lot of people have no idea how to customize their wallpaper or icons. And Nook doesn't make it easy to find IMO.
The wallpaper is easy enough to change. If you can't figure out how to do it from the interface alone, instructions are in the Nook's user manual. As for customizing the icons and folders, there are Android apps to do that for you. You just have to explore Google Play and android capabilities -- just as you would if you used a third-party launcher or put on a new ROM.

Quote:
I also like using Amazon's android app market, which you can't on the stock Nook AFAIK.
It's relatively easy to install the Amazon App store on the stock firmware, as long as you have the mod to allow sideloading (my stock Nook HD has the mod). I installed the Amazon App Store and use it for the app of the day all the time. See this thread, post #4, for how to do it. If you try it, note that in step 2, you should put in any app that is free at that time, instead of DTG, which was free just for that day.

Quote:
I have no idea how to get rid of the carousel; that would have been a big plus to me originally. I can't stand it on any of the readers.
Go to Home Settings and uncheck all the options under "Customize by showing only these content types." Then nothing shows up in the carousel. Occasionally a spare catalog that I've subscribed to will pop up, but then just press on it and remove it from the home page. The only caveat is that the area where the carousel should go is now "dead" space, meaning it is impervious to swipes and clicks. But I have gotten used to it and prefer it to having the clunky carousel show up.

Quote:
I prefer shelves or collections by tags (I began with a Sony e-reader which allowed collections from my Calibre tags and love that) I haven't used the native Nook reader much b/c I buy very little from B&N (buy very little anyway but more from Kobo or Amazon usually) and use Aldiko for epubs, or Overdrive for library books.
I use Calibre Companion and Mantano Premium and they order all my books by Calibre tags. You do not have to use a different ROM or launcher to benefit from Calibre tags.

The native Nook reader I only use for PDFs, because I like its thumbnail navigation which I haven't found an equivalent to yet in any other PDF reader.

If it weren't for the B&N content, which I use, then I'd have no hesitation going to an alternate launcher or another ROM. But I don't want to lose that content, and don't like dual boot setups. So rooted stock with certain mods is the ideal solution for me.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote