View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The Kindle has definitely changed the way I read. I rarely looked up words while reading before. I can usually figure them out from context and didn't want to interrupt the flow of my reading to get up and grab a dictionary or go to my computer. Now, I find myself looking up all sorts of stuff. Sometimes even when I know a word but I just get the feeling the author is using it a more nuanced way, I'll look it up just because it makes my reading experience that much richer. I have Wikipedia and the web for searching that occasional cultural or historical reference I miss or, like with words, am just curious to know more about. I can do all this without really breaking the rhythm of my reading or, heaven forbid, dislodging the cat.

Said cat also does not have to compete for lap real estate with the book. When I read larger books, I often had to prop them on a pillow on my lap. I also didn't end up reading as long because my hands would get tired or I would get sick of shifting into various positions trying to get comfortable when the book was lopsided (also not high on the list of cat-approved activities). She does try to nibble the corner of the Kindle from time to time, though. I think she still regards it as a bit of competition for my attention.

The instant gratification aspect of the wireless has more changed the way I shop for books than the way I read them. Since I can pretty much buy a book any time, I don't buy books until I've read the sample and I don't tend to buy a book unless I'm going to read it right now. The samples are pretty generous, typically at least a chapter. That's usually enough to ensure I will enjoy the rest of the book. It certainly is a better predictor than the page or two I might read at the bookstore. I also don't have the issue of buying a bunch of books in advance based on what I think I want to read for the next month and then having the fancy for them pass. I think I'm wasting a lot less money not buying in advance. (The only reason I'd do that now is if I'm traveling internationally and would not have internet access while away.) I've read more books in the half year I've had my Kindle but I've bought about the same or possibly even fewer. The win for Amazon in this, of course, is I bought all the books from them where at least half would've been from the local bookstore before. I don't have an independent bookstore here so I don't feel too bad about that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote