View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Why do you consider BeBook over, let's say, Sony 505 or CyBook Gen3?
I do not care about DRM.

I am not interested in BeBook as such, I am interested in Hanlin V3 by Jinke.
I am researching devices so I can decide if I win that summer giveaway

I do not like Sony corporation. I do not like them for many, many little things. Like making things as incompatible as possible. (I talk about electronics in general, not about Reader). I do not like what they did to their Sonny Connect MUSIC store and its customets. After the Sony Rootkit debacle I thought I would never, ever buy ANYTHING made by Sony, especially not device that would require me to install software provided by Sony. Yet I purchased Sony reader PRS-500. The only thing I really dislike about PRS-500 is big shiny Sony logo at the top bezel. I also strongly dislike their software - the Sony Library.
I might end up buying my next reader from Sony.

I somehow do not like things I read on this forum about Cybook. Like the fact it is booting almost 60 seconds, depending on number of books on device (unlike my Reader that is ready for reading in 2 seconds). I also do not like mobi reader that is on Cybook that can not even display page number correctly. I do not like how the Bookeen is handling situation about promised firmware update. I do not like the fact that there is Delete button on the device that does not do anything and the fact that Bookeen is not doing anything about the button that is not doing anything ;-)

Things I like about Hanlin V3
- the company actively supports developers developing 3rd party firmware, applications
- there is open source firmware available that anybody can hack to do cool things. And indeed, the OpenInkpot IS doing things that users of other devices can only wish for.
- It is available in my region for price that is considerably lower than price for other comparable devices
- is supports folders (Hierarchical directory structure) I too use tags in my Sony Reader but I think directory structure would be better for me
- it has user replaceable battery
EDIT:
-------------------------------------------------
Astak EZ Reader is a rebranded Hanlin V3. I very much like the attitude Astak has towards it customers, I like how RobertB participates on this forum.
-------------------------------------------------

I am still waiting for the newly announced 5" devices from Netronix and Jinke.
My Sony reader PRS-500 is still working, so I have *plenty* of time to consider its replacement / upgrade.

Last edited by kacir; 06-28-2009 at 04:05 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote