View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #362
Ian
Ian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello-

I had not intended on posting any further to this thread; as I wrote a few days ago, my only goal in posting my story at all (to three forums: here, Amazon's own forum, and the TiVoCommunity forum) was to get advice on what I might to do get my Amazon account reinstated. Once my account WAS reinstated by Amazon 24 hours later, and I reported back, I personally felt that the issue was resolved and my participation was over: time to get back to reading books on my Kindle!

Bottom line: Amazon has been increasing their efforts to catch fraudsters (something I support fully), I got accidentally caught up in the sweep, I explained myself to them, asked them to take a second look at my account, they did it and reinstated me right away. Problem solved, case closed.

Or so I thought...

I truly had hoped that this (and the related) threads would then naturally fade away - and I am shocked and surprised that they have not.

As I said, I didn't plan on contributing any further to this discussion, but some recent comments have led me to want to clarify a few things which may be leading to some misunderstandings:

- I have had, and have only ever had, one Amazon account. If I used the word "accounts" previously, it was a regrettable typo.

- You actually don't need to have an active Amazon account to contribute to their forums: your computer just needs to be logged in. For some reason, even after my being banned, a cookie on my browser at home showed me as being "logged in" to the forum (but not the store itself) which allowed me to post. People on Amazon's own boards have confirmed this can happen. My work computer, however, HAD logged out, and during the ban, I was not able to log back in (and therefore post) from the office.

- Nowhere in any of my initial posts (or this one) did I write (or intend to write) any negative comments about Amazon.com, a company with whom I've had many good experiences over the years. I understand that many people feel that I am anti-Amazon: that is simply not the case. All I was ever doing was seeking advice to help me solve a confusing and distressing situation.

I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion of my experience and my story - and while I don't feel there's anything I can do (or should do) to sway certain opinions, all I will say that Amazon's quick reinstatement of my account is proof enough, for me at least, that they believed what I wrote. And that's all I ever asked for.

I hope this clarifies things... truly, while I appreciate all good and fair discussions, as a moderator here recently pointed out, this thread seems to be devolving into a lot of anger and name-calling (directed both at Amazon and myself), and may have outlasted its usefulness.

I'd love it if we could all just go back to enjoying our new toys and reading books - anyone else agree?

Thanks for listening-

-Ian

Last edited by Ian; 04-20-2009 at 04:18 PM.