View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I used named entities in HTML docs that I converted via Mobipocket Creator and they didn't work; just showed the code rather than the character. I ended up inserting smart quotes directly in the original HTML document. (And yes, by "smart quotes" I mean angled quotation marks, single and double--that's what they're called in Word.) I guess that's why I didn't think of it when making an XHTML document for ePub.

I did use UTF-8. I wonder why the pages didn't verify, then? The error didn't name them specifically, just said that there was a character it couldn't read. I assumed it was the quotation marks, because when I took them out there was no problem. I used the verifier on the w3.org site, uploading the document. I just used regular Notepad to make the files.

I don't own a reader that can read ePub. Do most of the readers parse named entities properly? If so, I think that might be the way to go.

When I'm coding regular HTML, I just use the straight quotes. But for something I'm going to read on a dedicated reader, it should be as book-like as possible, in my opinion, especially when trying to convert the paper fetishists! Thanks for the advice.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote