Thread: Classic Anybody waiting for Apple?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
madmak
madmak began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I canceled my Feb 12 Nook order. Not that the ipad blew me over, it didnt. But it did raise enough doubts that I thought prudent to wait a few months and let the market pan itself out.

To present my rationale, a little bit about my reading habits. I do all my reading on my computer and been doing that for the last 10 years now. I have a very short attention span and usually i love reading books on my laptop so that I can get in and out quickly (check email, chat, do some work, etc). I know this is contrary to the way most folks here like to read books but that's the way I am.

I considered a ebook reader primary for the form factor more so than the e-INK screen. i wanted something lighter and easier to handle than my 6.5 pound laptop. I was impressed by Nook hardware and it seemed so big in the pictures that I was disappointed when I saw it in store - the 6" screen seemed too small compared to my laptop screen (remember I am coming from reading on a laptop, not a paperback book).

the ipad, though technically not an ereader, has lot to offer to people like me who are not dedicated book readers or have short attention spans (sadly I am no longer in the minority with the next generation rivaling if not surpassing me). The price point is also very appealing.

That said, I exchanged a lot of my airline miles for $250 of BN gift cards. So it is likely I will have to buy a Nook at some point. I am hoping that the ipad will shake the market enough that most ebook readers will reduce price point and spurn innovation.
madmak is offline   Reply With Quote