View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #30
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
I have no idea if the technical details are different for your alarm system, but we have two different houses, both with alarm systems. In our case, these systems are monitored by ADT Security Systems.

There are two types of sensors: Perimeter sensors, on doors or windows; and Motion sensors that cover particular areas.

The perimeter alarms are only on the places you put them, and the monitoring service (and installation) is more expensive if you have lots of sensors. Most home systems around here have a couple of Door sensors that detect if the door is opened, and ignore windows. There are window sensors available, but we like to have open windows at night....

The motion sensors are likewise constrained by cost, and you place them to cover likely areas - for example it's really difficult to get any significant theft or damage without moving through a particular hall or room, so that's where you put the sensor.

In any case, the control panel can always enable either type of sensor, or both. When we leave our cats at home, we turn on the perimeter alarms. When we take the cats with us (to travel to other house), we turn on both perimeter and motion. If we turn on alarms at night, we also turn on only the perimeter, thus no alarms in the bathroom.

And yeah, we've had un-explainable alarms that we attribute to spiders in the sensors (although one time we're reasonably sure a deer banged into a window which may have triggered the motion sensor that happened to cover that area.) Also, be wary of loose things that could blow around if you have forced air heating.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check with our security - have to be prepared even though I'll probably not need it for at least 6 months.
I know about loose things - been warned already but since we have underfloor heating and no drapes nothing will trigger those sensors - in theory

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote