View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrahan View Post
Why convert an InDesign document to ePub? Because when I convert a book (designed for print) to ePub, I'm at a point in the editing process where the InDesign file is kinda considered like the "original document". Because the latest version of the text is in the InDesign document destined for print. For example, when there is a reprint, the publisher I'm working for don't go back in Word to correct the latest found typos or whatever—he only keeps the InDesign documents up to date. So when doing the ePub, even if InDesign is far from perfect, I found it easier to use it anyway (I find it relatively quick to clean the resulting ePub files, once you get used to how InDesign exports certain things, etc.).

And indeed, ebook is ebook, print is print... I'm not trying to replicate the exact printed book in ePub. Still, I'm trying to find "equivalent" solutions for "equivalent" problems, so I find it useful to work with the printed book, even if just used as reference. But that's just my way of thinking the ebook/printed relation in my workflow. I never said it was the best.
Thanks Colonel (Mustard that is),
Having to only keep one version of a document current certainly makes sense. But as "theducks" pointed out the closer to the source, the better the results.

I only got into this Sigil thing in self defense. So many of the ebooks I purchased are so poorly formatted I felt it necessary to disinfect and reformat them. Many have no table of contents which for an ebook is essential. Others have glaring typos with whole chapters and paragraphs out of order. I have been trying to find out why this is.

I think I have a partial answer. The publishers know what standards they want to maintain, and enforce, for their printed product but are floundering in the ebook world.

But I sense a shift in the winds. One of the most egregious publishers in this regard has released a new Tom Clancy novel priced an 50 cents less than the hard copy edition. If this ebook is up to their recent standards, there could be a backlash. I hope so - somebody needs to get their attention.

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 06-16-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote