View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #64
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
"PF4Mobile: According to you every e-ink device is then a huge fail, because it does not have the feats you'd see in a tablet!"
On what grounds are you making this statement ?

"Most e-ink devices have been created to read books,and if they could perform these basic functions (like skipping pages, and following TOC hyperlinks is a bonus) then it's a good reader!"

Can you name an ereader that doesn't have annotations?
I am not saying there is none but I can not name any modern ereader that is missing this function.

When you have outstanding price you offer outstanding performance
This is not a trade in, " I give you color screen, this is why I can afford to give you nothing else or anything else behind the other players"
When the market is mature and all the players all align to some standards you are expected to comply, money wise and feature wise. If you want to exceed do it in all respects.
Ectaco left me a bad impression. I would feel insulted if I had to pay 500$ and to see if it doesn't do this or that.
I am the very one that started a thread here showing interest and I wanted to buy the device.
Well I had to step back very soon and for good reasons.
Let's agree on something, 500$ to read color docs is too much considering the quality difference if you compare with a tablet. I understand that your only strong point in this respect is the resolution. That doesn't matter for color information.

If we take text, color text interleaved with B&W I understand that the resolution is anywhere between the max B&W and the color (800x600)
If we take pictures then you are looking at 800x600
Now, seriously, what is the advantge of the undertermined resolution that one uses when he/she reads color text? I can not see it.

Now, to give you good reasons to say that I compared a tablet with JBC here is what I would have said

Case 1
I read text and pictures on a Galaxy tab Display: 10.1" WXGA (1280x800)
Same color resolution everywhere
I pay 400$
Advantages: multimedia and lots lots of features
Disadvantage: higher power consumption and eye strain

Case 2
I read text and pictures on a JetBook Color Display: 9.7" 1600 (H) * 1200 (W),
color resolution 800x600
I pay 500$
Advantages: no eye strain(let's admit that for now), less power consumption
Disadvantages: pretty much everthing else is missing or less than a tablet. The very advantage of the overevaluated color eink is not there not for pictures.

On the same inch you put less color info with your JBC than with a tablet. The quality of the colors is poorer ...then how does that help THE EYES???

You are missing the obvious, the very advantage that is called color display becomes a disadvantage and defeats the purpose of eInk for the regular reader: TO SAVE THE EYES!

PS: we can still debate what hurts more- backlight or lack of details (resolution) and quality color information!

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote