View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
tshome
tshome began at the beginning.

Device: PRS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
That's all it takes for the fading units. Just a few seconds in the sun.

For those who have fading units within 90 days of purchase -- it is *totally* worth it to call Sony customer support and ask for a replacement unit. I did it, and it was easy, quick (overnight shipping), and the new unit does not fade at all.
My problem is that I only found the issue after 90 days. They replaced the screen, and the new one is even worse!

Check out how unusable this makes it:

Page turned indoors
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page_turned_indoors.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	56144

Page turned in sunlight (overcast day too!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page_turned_sunlight.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	56145

I am surprised at the number of people that think this is acceptable - I have read on many forums that some simply "put up with it - Shade it with their body or a cover whilst turning the page"

How are the manufacturers getting away with this????

The Sony marketing blurb clearly says the following:

New digital book readers from Sony use an innovative E InkŪ Vizplex™ screen which means it’s just like reading a paper page. It has high contrast, high resolution and a wide viewing angle. What’s more there’s no backlight and no flickering so it’s gentle on your eyes and YOU CAN READ FOR HOURS EVEN IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

It doesn't say "you can read for hours in direct sunlight as long as you don't turn the page"

The device is simply not fit for the purpose it is advertised for.

These screens should be quality controlled - Surely this comes under the trades descriptions act?

Last edited by tshome; 08-04-2010 at 10:09 AM.
tshome is offline   Reply With Quote