View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Bloated and abusive"? Pardon me? Do you really consider it "abusive" for an author to want to get paid for sales of his books, rather than allowing them to be downloaded free of charge from BT sites?
harry, please, let's try to stay reasonable and not mix everything up. i absolutely support authors being paid for sales of their books. but the whole (original) principle of copyright is to allow the author to profit from books they publish and therefore encourage them to continue to write. the current copyright of "life + 70 years" goes FAR beyond that (no author keeps writing for 70 years after they die...) and is in fact simply a greedy ploy on the part of corporations (disney...) to "lock up" ideas so they can keep making money off them. i cannot support that.

i know you frequent the BAEN site ; there was another link here to a series of articles about copyright written by Eric Flint. here's one of the links : i'm sure you can easily find the other articles in the series. this article is called "Copyright: How Long Should It Be?" and it makes some excellent points. http://baens-universe.com/articles/salvos3
i haven't read all the articles yet, but the ones i have read have been well thought-out, logical, convincing, and thoroughly respectful of BOTH authors AND the public, which current copyright law is emphatically not.

and again, before you blindly attack the Pirat Parti, please go to the source and see what they actually have to say. from your statements, you clearly have not done that, so you really can't make an informed judgement of them.

Quote:
All that's being proposed, as I understand the EU legislation, is that if a copyright holder can show that their material is being offered for download illegally, the ISP will be obliged to provide personal details of the "owner" of that IP address. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Why do you object to it?
i do not like the idea of ISPs, which are private companies and in no way competent for the task, to be given powers of "policing" my traffic. my privacy is important to me, so on principle alone i don't want that, and that's not to mention the very very real possibilities that opens up for misuse, abuse, accidents, mistakes, and other irritations (or significantly worse) to me, the end user. this is a step in the wrong direction. i don't want to start down this path, so regardless of how innocuous you may think this is, i think it's a very dangerous beginning.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote