View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #38
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
I don't condone personal privacy and due process being trampled just to catch a few freeloaders.
Some people seem to think that because everyone does it, it is unreasonable to crack down. You suggest above that there aren't enough freeloaders to merit a crackdown. I don't see how we could ever know that there are just the right number of scofflaws to merit protecting the rights of creators.

As for due process, I would leave that up to the legal system of the Netherlands. If this violates Dutch due process of law, then it seems likely to be struck down. But BREIN may win, because they seem to cooperate with law enforcement:

http://www.anti-piracy.nl/english.php

Quote:
BREIN investigates, takes civil action and supplies information and expertise for criminal, administrative and fiscal action. Criminal investigations are carried out by the anti-piracy team of the FIOD-ECD (Fiscal and Economic Crime Service), which operates under the supervision of a special unit of the Public Prosecution Service.
Going by Google translate, here's how it works:

http://www.ereaders.nl/09081301_inze...ibutiecontract

Quote:
Online stores are required to point to the fact that customer information is stored and may be passed on to third parties, with a suspicion of abuse.
A US paper book store with a big shoplifting problem likely keeps video of its patrons. When they notice shinkage, they use the video. When they don't, the video goes unused. I have no idea if storing bookstore customer video is consistent with due process of law in the Netherlands, but, if it is, this is no different.

I can understand that a bookstore wouldn't want its customers to know they were being recorded, by video or otherwise. That would, although an example of honesty and openness, hurt sales. When you give them your credit card name and number, it should be pretty obvious that you are being recorded, but stating that fact may alienate customers.

Due process can't begin unless there is a way for authorities to collect evidence and find suspects. There always is a tradeoff between effective law enforcement and people having complete privacy in their actions. 100 percent privacy would mean zero law enforcement. I don't see this as more intrusive than means that might be used to stop people from taking paper books without paying.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-25-2013 at 10:00 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote