View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #35
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_22 View Post
thanks a lot, i have not a decided yet but now i know where to look
but i have a question is there some difference between the updates, that depends of the place where you buy it?
Yes. Some resellers develop their own proprietary software they dont want to share with anyone but their customers. For that reason they modify the firmware in such a way that it is only compatible with devices they sell. One such company is ArtaTech who developed their own TTS software as well as (rather crude) cloud support. They sell at http://www.onyx-boox.com/ (this is not official Onyx site, mind you!). This means that if you buy from them, you'll have to use software they release (this imitation can probably be overcome, but unless you are experienced hacker you better not try it, and also you loose your warranty if you do)

Booxtor (at ereader.de) and russian reseller seem to have more relaxed approach, and devices they sell are not locked. They both release firmware independently. It is also known that chinese sellers (or the make itself) release another version of firmware, and so does Icarus company with sells rebranded m92 as the Excel. Be advised though that different versions of devices may have some hardware differences, so it is wise to stick to software released by your vendor.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote