Thread: New E-Ink
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
My sole experience is with the Kindle 2. I don't understand the fuss about "slow" page turns. Faster is better, I suppose; but I actually think some momentary transition is "more natural" than an instant swap. I can certain do with animations of turns though. Sheesh.
Because not everyone uses devices slowly. Try flipping through a 20-page range of text to find a quote. To that end, E-Ink is rubbish. Try quickly skimming through a dozens or even hundreds of pages of a PDF document to find a page with a certain chart. Again, E-Ink is not really sufficient for the task. These are just a couple of simple examples based on reading, without any discussion of other types of media.

E-Ink's speed is a horrible turn-off when considering e-paper devices for academic reading or research. Sure it's understandable that some people have slow reading habits. They won't need speed. But is it really so hard to understand that some people have higher standards?

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-27-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: less condescending now
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote