View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #49
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Is it an IP address problem?
Not necessarily. The regional access control seems to vary from site to site.

I registered at the Sony store as a US based reader from the get go, and I use only gift cards to purchase stuff. Although I have a US credit card, it has a billing address here in France, so I haven't been able to use that at the Sony store. I'm thinking of changing the billing address to the US (since I get my bills electronically anyhow) and see if that allows me to buy directly from Sony.

I'm a long-time Amazon customer (on Amazon.com, .co.uk, .fr and .de) so they have my shipping address and only seem to show me what's available for that address. On many physical items in the US, they'll state that they are "not available for shipping to your usual shipping address" - though that implies that I could have them shipped to someone in the US. On e-books, they only seem to give me the items (and prices) for France - evidently complete with the appropriate VAT added.

Tested this once when a book I wanted had not yet been released in the US, though it was available in the UK (and Australia). The Amazon.com site showed me the e-book currently available outside the US, with the US edition scheduled for release at a later date.

I have yet to have to resort to a VPN for buying from the US or Canada, but I imagine that I'll wind up doing that at some stage, though changing the billing address on my US credit card might be a better solution.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote