View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #194
Oldeyes
Oldeyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony,Apple,Android
Over-ride Device's Margins

Apologies in advance if wrong thread...

I've experienced an issue with every e-book viewer device I've tried.

As I increase font/text size with settings, the margins also increase, reducing the space available to display words. At an extreme end, there are perhaps 1-2 words per line, and a page size becomes less than a sentence. As a programmer/analyst in a previous career, I understand that such an increase of margins would initially seem logical, but since screen area is fixed, in reality, there should be little need for margins beyond a couple of pixels. -Especially on pocket sized readers that have 1 inch wide plastic borders holding the LCD that are themselves physical margins. And as fonts increase, margins should decrease.

My high level question is, would I be able to correct or by-pass this issue through learning and experimenting with CSS styles? What would the process be? I'm thinking that editing the CSS style within an epub ebook in calibre to get the left/right margins that work, followed by epub-to-epub conversion, and putting the new epub onto the device, might be the solution. I have not succeeded with this approach, though.

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide suggestions!

Last edited by Oldeyes; 05-15-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Oldeyes is offline   Reply With Quote