View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
Just gotta throw my hat in, since I use both OS X and WinXP Pro in my work environment.

First off, Macs USE to be faster. The G3 was incredible when it made its debut. The G4 was impressive enough (though it required programs to code for the velocity engine). The G5 represents "brute force" method of trying to squeeze more speed out of a chip that seems to be pushing against a pre-mature speed-barrier of some sort. I'm not sure what happened, but there are plenty of newsgroups threads of Mac-users lamenting on how the Mac seems to have lost its lead and is now falling behind. Personally, I'm glad Mr. Jobs had the guts to make the switch.

I am a little surprised that the beta of OS X runs faster on Intel already. Are they running the same feature set on both? Dashboard, Spotlight indexing, and journaling are resource-hogs. Are these already implemented for Intel? Faster speed means little to me if it sacrifices many convenient features.

If it was all about speed, we wouldn't have a GUI and still be doing everything on a command-line.

- Jim
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote