View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
InDesign is the best option for me to create epubs. It creates very clean code if used correctly. Not sure what AIPe's problem is with it. Maybe he/she could elaborate.

There is definitely a way to do the search/replace with GREP for this but I'm not even sure you need GREP since you've marked it so well. Just replace all instances of [blank line] with a nonbreaking space (and a hard return before or after to put it on it's own line if it isn't already). Use the special character drop-down to the right of the Change To field. All paragraphs that contain a nonbreaking space are valid in epub and show as a blank line. That would be the easiest way.

If you don't want to use nonbreaking spaces, another way would be to use a script that looks for a style and then changes the style for the paragraph after it based on your input in a dialog box. To use this, you would change all the blank line paragraphs to a "blank line" style. Then use the script to find all of that style and change the one after it to a new style that includes some extra space before.

The script is here. It costs $39. There's a free one out there that does the same thing but the site where I got it is giving a warning message about malware so I don't want recommend it right now.

Also, www.indesignsecrets.com is a great source for using InDesign to make epubs. They have an epub forum and there are quite a few experts there who have helpful advice. One of the sites creators did a great InDesign to ePub video on Lynda.com. Her name is Anne-Marie Concepcion. She posts here occasionally.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote