View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
in-house styling - impressive.

Is that actually written up & maintained as a style guide ( not expecting you to publish here if so) ,or is it just programmed into folks heads ?

does it also do emdash / endash stuff or can the customer have either ?
BWAHAHAHAHA. "Impressive." I have you all fooled!

Seriously, actually, yes it is and yes we do. It requires updating, but it exists in the form of an ePUB and a master-mobi converted from that ePUB. The CSS is, obviously, right there in the ePUB, and each designer can see the results in the files, and test them on however many devices. The files "live" in a dropbox that the entire Crew shares. The file's organic--changes occur as we find new things that work better, or one of the retailers does something that throws a spanner into the works. (Yes, I'm talkin' to you, Apple!)

We do have emdash and endash "stuff." Generally, except when the customer is very adamantine, it's the same as the hellips--join it to the last word in question, leave the "break" possibility after, so that you don't have dangling ems or ens. At least, that's my personal preference. I find seeing an em- or endash at the beginning of a line startling, in whatever media, print included.

We try to be consistent. We are not always. We're human, people get very stressed doing this work, and get rushed, particularly this time of year...but we try.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote