View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #22415
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It really does make perfect sense. It's just not how I envisioned quilting. But with that in mind, my earliest memories of sewing machines came at my grandmother's house, with her stepping on the controller making things. Then one day in my teens I saw a Treadle-powered sewing machine and I thought, 'Wow! Ancient stuff!' But then I moved to S.E. Asia and saw NEW Treadle-powered Singer sewing machines being sold in shops!! People would set them up on street corners and offer tailoring while you wait. That still goes on today! What a world we live in, eh?

Gotta go... Corn soup is ready!

Stitchawl
I actually learnt to sew on a treadle machine, I think my mother had inherited it from her mother. Sewed lots of clothes on it until the big day when a new electric machine came into the house. At least you can still use a treadle when the power goes out, as long as there's daylight to see.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote