View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #105
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Our culture in general has a relaxed attitude to "torrenting".

Depending on where you are on the internet. I belong to a knitting site, and I see conversations about people who torrented this or that show so they could "catch up", and wholehearted approval and pats on the back, but find one of the knitting patterns on a torrent site? Evil thieves! How dare they think they can get a designer's work for free?!?

I sometimes do a word search for the word "torrent" on twitter and I find tweets that from the same user "don't mind"' torrenting one thing, but other things are sacrosanct and they refuse to touch it.
I actually sympathise and understand that view.

Since in the UK it's legal to record a program in order to time-shift. Catchup TV is in itself a form of time-shifting. Missing a show on tv that you legally had access to (ie if it was a Cable/Sky exclusive you have to have a valid and current subscription to that service) then downloading a torrent watching it and deleting it is little different to setting the recorder, recording it, watching it and deleting it.

Of course the law says different, one if legal, one isn't. But I can easily see why people don't see catch-up torrenting as wrong.

It's not a big problem really, as services are becoming available for free from most TV companies to allow catch-up/on demand. It's a problem that will eventually go away.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote