View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Are these "known" issues? Can they be fixed with firmware updates?
They're known to me. I saw the same problems with non-DRMed Mobi when I first got my Astak. The page-number shuffle was frustrating to a new user experimenting with different font-faces and -sizes; attempting to navigate any way other than linearly was like doing a blind jump from Star Trek's transporter deck.

I, too, ran into a problematic mobi file that would not progress beyond the opening pages. What worked for me was converting it to epub (using Calibre). This also took care of the page-numbering problems.

Since then, I've settled on epub as my preferred format. According to what I've read, Mobi is being neglected since Amazon bought it, while epub is growing rapidly.

Disadvantages of epub on the Astak readers is that currently there is no easy way to change fonts (although it can be done), and the text display is, while perfectly legible, a bit on the light side (on the Pocket Pro, that is; it's fine on the EZReader Basic, I guess due to the fewer grey levels and larger display size).

I'm pretty confident that these epub issues will be addressed soon, via firmware. I doubt that anything will be done about the mobi problems.

So my advice would be to look into epub. And take a look at Calibre, if you haven't already. It makes conversion a breeze, and you can keep copies of your files in its database as both mobi and epub. If you go Kindle someday, you'll have the mobi files; if you go Sony (or others), you've got the epub; stay Astak, you can use either.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote