View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Now if what you said is true that this kind of thing *is* banned, then I can only account for their entires being in there due to sheer raw popularity, and only because they were entered by fans of the said authors and/or books.
That's exactly what happened.

Fans of the works put up entries themselves, and the mass of such was that those articles were allowed to remain, but if, and only if they a) met the "notability" requirements: e.g., this is a very well-known and culturally significant work within its field and/or by a creator who is the same and b) met the "encyclopaedic" requirements: having external sources and citations thereof, such as episode guides having behind-the-scenes/making-of info based on interviews with the writers/directors/actors, etc.

And a lot of stuff does get deleted, or at best, consolidated, for failing to meet those requirements.

Once they turfed the lot of I think it was individual Simpsons episodes articles for failing to meet said guidelines, and added them back later after they'd been significantly expanded with plenty of info beyond just the bare plot summaries. And I know they got rid of all the similar Batman: The Animated Series epguides at one point, because they did it just when I wanted to look something up.

At no time did the authors or anyone known to be working in any capacity with them create or edit stuff themselves.

There's actually some sort of guideline against public figures who have entries about them editing said entries. I think it was invoked yet again in the latest round of that guy who founded Wikipedia v. the rest of the Wiki- community.

Conversely, there've been a few cases where people having vested interest in editing entries to suit themselves were discovered and roundly mocked.

Fairly recently some members of the UK government were found to have tampered with the dates on an entry of some historical figure in order to back up an erroneous argument one of the MPs had made in the House of Commons, or maybe it was a Lord in the House of Lords, and it was pointed and laughed at in the British press.

In short (too late!), it's not the fan-related stuff which is banned, but the creation/editing of entries by parties related to such.

Really, if you want a wiki about your own work, it's best to run it yourself from your own website, or use Wikia, which is free and set up specifically for people to do the fan-stuff. I imagine it'll be a nice draw for readers who want to know more about your fictional world.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote