Thread: Aura HD Kobo Aura HD
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #249
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I just dropped by the local Chapters store to see the new Aura, all ready to plunk down $170 and upgrade from my KT. They had it out on display, along with a couple of Kobo reps to help explain it. The screen looks good. The extra 0.8" makes a significant difference. Great! Only... I was disappointed as soon as I picked it up. The hard slick plastic surface (front and back) is terrible. I don't know what Kobo was thinking. It's by far the worst of any of the e-readers, from Kobo or anyone else. To go from the nice quilted back and soft-coated grippy surface of my black KT to this cheap-feeling hard plastic would be unthinkable. The rep suggested that everyone would probably use it with a cover, so it wouldn't matter. But I don't use a cover. Sadly, the Aura is not for me. I guess I'll wait for the Glo to go on sale.
Shoot, that is too bad. Hand feel is a big deal to me, and I don't like feeling plastic. On a phone that I pick up and put down, it's one thing; on an ereader I hold for hours it's something else. I never buy a cover for my ereader, cause then it is too thick and heavy for me to hold.

Man, I was excited to see a >6" screen that weighs slightly less than my kindle keyboard AND has good, even front light AND adjustable font weight AND not made by Amazon (got nothing against them, I just don't want to give all my money to one company).
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote