View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
First off: since you are "Linux programmer", I am going to write my response to your "bug report" in a way you could expect it to come from a bug tracker/mailing list/IRC channel if people there would be confronted with a report of a quality such as yours.

That being said, you don't sound very tech-savvy. I guess there is some value in criticizing a version of the software which is not up to date though.
Speaking of which, what version does your firmware have?!

It would make sense to distinguish between actual software bugs (or your perception thereof) and lacking features in the hardware design, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
  1. Using the "Hide Margin" Zoom-Mode, the PDF Reader automatically drops into "Scroll Pages" Layout and no longer allows flipping one page at a time. Conversely, if one selects "Single Page" Layout afterwards, the keys for swapping pages stop working alltogether.
    What should happen instead is that not only "Single Page" Layout is retained (or can subsequently be activated), but also that the "<" and ">" keys go to the same relative position on page before, respectively after.
Update your device. Auto-Crop works for me, and I am able to swap pages normally. Also the second issue has, as far as I can tell, been addressed.

Quote:
  1. The pen is a complete misdesign. On the one hand, the reader lacks any means to store the pen, despite how tiny the pen its. On the other, the pen is designed as if it were to be stored in the reader, meaning uncomfortably tiny and without any clip, whatsoever. A bigger pen would also have allowed for more features, better grip, etc. Instead, the pen combines the disadvantages of both solutions.
The solution for the pen could have been better. However, I don't see how this design issue fits into a list of bugs?

Quote:
  1. Auto-Standby and Auto-Poweroff can not be set. The "Settings" for "Power Management" are completely unusable and do not respond to user-input, whatsoever.
Works for me. The options could be more extensive, but after n minutes, my devices goes into standby, after m>n minutes it powers off.

Yet again, maybe you should try updating your device first or have it returned for repairs?

Quote:
  1. The browser attempts to animate not only javascript but also animated GIFs and thereby fails to be usable for many webpages. Any reasonable software would allow the user to disable Javscript and disable animated GIFs. Although the M92's primary purpose is not browsing, the M92's browser is therefore mostly unusable.
Again, update your device. The browser has been improved substantially.

I know that old versions didn't work too well, but last time I checked the browser worked quite nicely. I can, however, imagine better things than browsing on an e-ink device.

Quote:
  1. The screen shows the Brand's label when going off, instead of just sticking with the current content. Not only is that a waste of energy, it is also almost certainly the opposite of what you want.
  2. etc. etc
When my device turns off, it doesn't show anything. You don't happen to be talking about suspend?

Also, if it were to show something, it certainly would not use energy for the purpose of the display. Sure, changing what is displayed costs energy, but that part is negligible.

Lastly, this solutions is the standard solution in the industry (look at how the Kindle does it). Should there be an option to change this? I think so; but displaying an image in standby mode is reasonable so that the user can quickly tell what state the device is in.

So this definitely is not a bug, but a design decision.

Quote:
Conclusion: The M92 is a reasonably good assembly of hardware (good and large screen, reasonably well working Digitizer, although misdesigned, usable buttons) with unusable software.

Is there anything one can do against this software? As a Linux programmer I'd gladly like to write my own bits and pieces but I doubt that's possible given the propriatary assembly with possibly propriatary drivers.
My conclusion:
  1. Update your device before reporting (perceived) bugs.
  2. Learn what a bug is and how to write proper bug reports.

Last edited by mSSM; 10-12-2012 at 04:31 AM.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote