View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
My feeling is that anything Frank O'Connor wrote is worth reading, so I certainly recommend your getting hold of other collections of his short stories if you can. I am now reading my way through The Best of and haven't been disappointed by anything in there that I have read.

I do agree that the childhood stories are absolutely delightful and hilarious in the way he gets the child's voice and interpretation of things so spot on. I'm with you on "First Confession" - the bit where he climbs up on the ledge and then has to hang off it to talk to the priest is an image I treasure. But I really admire the more serious stories about adults too, and keep thinking about them after I have finished them.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote