View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #26527
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'd go with what VydorScope has to say, except not to bother with a dedicated graphics card if you don't do gaming or graphics intensive tasks. OTOH, if you do, you'll definitely want it. Definitely go for an SSD, it makes all the difference. And while screen a big screen size isn't a plus unless you like carrying it around and you actually need it, screen quality and pixel count do matter at all sizes. Also, make sure you can stand the keyboard. I absolutely love my HP EliteBook, but hate my Asus. Technically, the Asus was slightly more powerful, and had a better graphics card. But the keyboard was totally hopeless and ruined the machine for me.

At 14.5 inches, the HP Elite Book was a much better compromise between functionality and weight. Be really sure you want and need a 17 inch screen before you decide to live with one.
Good point, forgot to mention screen pixel count/quality - probably because all I have to choose from in the Mac world is Retina - and that is good enough for me.

I would say that the graphics card is the one place I skimped in my last upgrade, and I notice it in video work (editing vacation videos for example), and other random places outside of gaming. Its not huge, and if it breaks your budget (unless your a gamer, and then well forget your budget), you be better served with an SSD then a graphics card in 90% of what people actually do.

I would definitely watch the refurb market from which ever brand you choose. They are often great buys, and normally come with the full warrenty as long as you buy direct.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote