View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #15227
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I put some thoughts in spoilers, just in case.

Spoiler:
1.There is a huge twist/shock/surprise in AGoT. Think about it. You sure you don't remember anything? If not, the book wasn't for you and I would abandon the series, because the characters obviously didn't resonate with you.

2.Starting with A Feast For Crows, the focus gets a bit narrower (longer chapters, less characters).
I'll try to be vague too, but inside spoilers just in case.
Spoiler:
The last scene with Daenerys is what I thought might have been supposed to be the surprise/shock, but that was strongly hinted at right from the time of her wedding (earlier really, but it became obvious at that point). It came about in a rather more gruesome way that I might have expected, but wasn't exactly a surprise. Or perhaps the surprise was that it did actually happen in this book? (Sorry, couldn't help that last sentence, it just slipped out. )

The Stark children all seemed to come out pretty much as I might have expected after the first couple of chapters with them. What happened to Stark senior wasn't so predictable, but no great shock once you got the hang of where GRRM was heading.

Petyr Baelish remains something of an enigma to me, so I'm wondering if perhaps I missed something on that front. My favourite character is Tyrion, also an enigma, but one that feels much more real and understandable. He was also the most unique, least stereotypical, unpredictable and yet consistent. I do like the way you can never quite decide whether to like him or hate him.

The importance of the early mystery of the knife effectively faded into insignificance, and we don't appear to have any firm resolution on that yet, if it even matters any more.

And after all the build-up at the Wall ...
Spoiler:
nothing happened.

The biggest surprises seemed to be all the things that didn't happen ... or not in this book.

If it seems I've missed something important then I'd welcome a PM (rather than risk getting more explicit in the open list and spoiling it for others).

I think I'll put off reading more until I find the right mood ... though, of course, it can help just knowing what sort of thing to expect so you don't come at a book looking for something different. There's certainly nothing wrong with GRRM's writing skill, it was all very well done ... it was all just too spaced out or something to get me involved/absorbed.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote