View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Well you definitely make my purchase of a DR1000S seem a lot more rational to me now. I already have an Irex Iliad (I also have to agree that this is my favorite reader) and a Sony PRS-500 (was my first reader). I wanted a large screen reader for scanned PDFs and I just couldn't wait until sometime next year for Plastic Logic to come out or Sony to make a large reader so I went with a DR1000S, still waiting for it to come in. I think that would round out my eReader needs. It'd be cool to have all those devices though, more power to ya
The 1000S definitely is a great unit.
Mainly, I miss 2 things:
1.) It's got such a great and huge display, so I'd LOVE to see thumbnails. Cybook demonstrates, that this very well can be done for Mobipocket .prc files. (*)
2.) I LOVE, being able to change book titles or author's names on the fly, directly on the iRex iLiad. This GREAT feature doesn't exist on 1000S, anymore.

(*) Actually, of all my units, only Cybook and Sony 700 can display thumbnails. No biggy, but still would be great.

But the positive aspects clearly outrank the "less positive" ones:
- It's surprisingly leightweight.
- The display quality/contrast isn't reduced by the touchscreen at all. It's got the same great quality as, for example, Sony 505. Quite contrary to the Sony 700. Obviously, a clear advantage of the WACOM tablet.
- Mobipocket .prc already was quite okay for me, I've been able to purchase most of the books I've been looking for. But with Amazon's HUGE collection of .azw and the methods described on this website, it's sheer limitless. Quite contrary to Sony's .lrx.
- Even Kindle DX is rather small in comparison. Sometimes, size DOES matter...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote