View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One thing to bear in mind with any book is that it might contain embedded fonts that could be protected by copyright. Given that there is no practical method for the tool to know whether or not a font is protected by copyright, and that it could significantly alter the functionality of the book to simply delete the fonts, please make sure that you prominently request users of your tool to ensure that a book contains no copyrighted fonts before uploading it.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions about this.
Thanks, Harry!

Re: the fonts, I'd already given this some more thought and think it would be safest just to delete all embedded fonts (obfuscated and non-obfuscated) for the Mark I version. Whether it results in a significantly less useful utility in practical terms remains to be seen.

I'll post an alpha (non-plugin version) in this thread tomorrow with the hope that some of you will try it out on some of your own books and report back if there are any glaring errors or missed scrambling.

ETA: If its possible to 100% reliably determine which fonts are obfuscated perhaps we can leave them in but I'm not familiar enough with the details at the moment. Perhaps Kovid can offer some guidance.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-17-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: obfuscated fonts
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote