View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #32
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But is there a way of taking a TTF or OTF font file and subsetting it that works on Windows, OS X, & Linux without the need for Cygwin?
This is yet another post that clearly shows that don't really understand what you're talking about. Cygwin was primarily created to enable Unix shell programming under Windows. Both Linux and OS X are UNIX derivatives and therefore don't require Cygwin. (Both also natively support the most common scripting languages and UNIX shell programming.)
I.e. Cygwin is not the problem. The problem is adapting existing scripts for this special task.

@pdurrant:
I had a look at the links that you posted and it seems that the first one fits the bill perfectly. The Web Font Optimizer web site uses it for subsetting and it works nicely with the predefined free fonts, but it's not possible to select custom fonts.
I tried to create an offline version by pulling the source files, but I couldn't get it to work, because there was one dependency that I couldn't resolve.
(It was probably just a stupid beginner's mistake like a wrong folder structure or a missing or outdated CPAN module.)
Maybe someone with better technical skills than me could get it to work offline.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote