View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Why are you using 0.5.3? Is this a Mac thing?
Well, all I remember at this point is something in one of the upgrades close to 0.5.3 had something I didn't want, didn't understand, *or* it sounded like it was getting more complicated than I wanted.

I don't remember - I mostly use it to do simple things (remove extra covers and book ads) and occasionally a little more complicated when I'm feeling ambitious (splitting a book so there are separate HTML files for each chapter, rather than one long run-on file (possible split because of its length).

I just use it to pretty-up the books I don't like the layout or format of, mostly. It does what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Just try - it won't touch your original bookfile (if you feel unsecure, save a copy of your book somewhere else). And actually it's rather straightforward: Load the epub in Calibre, press the epubsplit button, choose where you want it split and go ahead. To split it in five parts you will have to do some planning, as the plugin only seems to split the book in two each time.
Uh, okay, I had a little luck tonight, but it still sounds like I'm not doing it "right". I clicked on the epubsplit button, highlighted each item (cover, TOC, chap1, chap2, etc) I wanted to be in 1 book and clicked split. It created a separate file with just that book. Then I repeated it 4 more times, for each of the 5 books. I couldn't figure out how to tell it "split here" (as if I wanted to split a file into 2 parts). It did what I wanted, but I didn't find it intuitive at all.

I read the top post on the sticky thread about the plug in - it seemed like a list of things it could do, without any instructions on how to do them. And I didn't have time to read through all the posts that had been made since it was rolled out. So I just experimented until I could actually get it to do something.

I can't help but think - for example - the middle column serves a purpose. I tried clicking in that column, right clicking for a context menu, clicking in a row and typing or tabbing....nothing, nothing, nothing.

I appreciate that folks make these. I do. I know with stuff like this it's an "as-is" deal. I'm just used to them being more obvious than this one....

....of course there's always the possibility there's a "click here to allow editing" button or F key that I simply missed, that would make it all obvious, and I'll feel like an idiot when I finally find it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote