View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I was wondering how word got out also... Word of mouth? Travel plans being noticed? Some flurry of visits with legal and acquisition experts?

I still think it may be a bargain because of what it represents. How else could you get for $300mill an instant (well in a year or two if things go well) Linux smartphone/featurephone platform with market acceptance -- and it's a gargantuan market. If they pull it off, they should compete well with the Nokia Linux offerings because of the wide base of apps and what should be a superior user interface. High risk with the heavy competition out there, but high upside also.

And something else that is interesting is that if you think of the internet as the platform, then they may have some very interesting plans for merging PalmOS and the internet browser technology. Can't do that sort of thing in any other way but to acquire the OS, and what other realistic options are out there? Plus it's got to be attractive for carriers also, because the phone connectivity and data usage drives revenue from data charges.

But I'm very interested to read up on reaction from some of the industry "insiders" and PalmSource people, as well as more of our MR readers to see what others are thinking. Seems to open the door for all kinds of possibilities!