Thread: DIY - KeK
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Working my way thru the hoops.

I've read the B) section of your new blurb and got all the external resources.

I'm reading http://npascut1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ation-for-arm/ excellent article that I should have read more thoroughly the first time I happened on it, again. no skimming this time.

For the next hapless reader who freakishly has exactly my config and requirements I'm making a tiny list here.

I run a 64 bit 13.1 Slackware arch, with Alien 32 bit multi-libs.
I have a B006 K3 Wifi. so Arm 6 I think.
(and a US DX, and a UK Kindle Wi-Fi)

I've grabbed the scratchbox 1.0.27 core, libs and two flavours ( of arm 7?? toolchain. possibly got that wrong) ... unsure about that step right now.

I've got the Qemu 1.0.1 source and it installed fine. after a meaty "make".

Got all the referenced sources from your doc. Ubuntu-core-armel-, gcc-linaro-arm, crosstool-ng-linaro and ancillary files.

Cleared a 5 Gb Partition and made it ext2 but I think I should have made it FAT?
would very much like to back up the entire content of the drive. but am not 100% clear on that but I'm working on it. bit unclear about getting the root FS from the kindle

Quote:
The usb drive is FAT, so ...
if you backup /dev/mmcblk0p4 at the device level, you backup the entire file system, including "deleted" files. Note: When you mount the image of mmcblk0p4 you have to specifiy an offset to losetup so that it can find the start of the file system in the image of the media (same as you would have to do with the image of a bootable floppy disk).
I'll try simply backing up the main directories via SSH and see how I go.

played with Debootstrap but Udev nixs the sbin/MAKEDEV so that's a no anyway.

So far even with all the best intentions and much reading I'm that far into the http://npascut1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ation-for-arm/ after several hours. ho hum. I need an idiots guide to the idiots guide perhaps... The curve is steep, the documentation is disparate, Bleeding edge baby yeah.

Anyways. When I've cracked it I'll shovel my experiences into a "howto on Slack 64", or something, assuming I get that far

Perhaps I'm missing a sticky or something but I don't see a simple "howto setup your stuff magically with no effort". step-by-step-while-making-tea.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction so far.
Big thanks to K for providing this great resource too, work appreciated: I assure you I am attempting to read the Friendly manuals ASAP. (just need to find some more heh)

Anyways I shall continue, I don't want to hijack this thread with my ramblings about a specific setup. However I thought a thumb-in-the-air for technical difficulty of "getting the project going" for a noob would not go amiss. never hurts to state the obvious I suppose.

So In a nutshell. what am I doing? just grabbing the main dirs or actually shovelling the lot off via a dd? thanks. apologies if this sound noobish. I am.

would be nice to get hacking on some audio plugins for the kindle.

I'm thinking something like "Pulsate" on chrome.

The graphics could do voice activation also... anyways, back to failing

Last edited by twobob; 06-30-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added more devices
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote