View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #72
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Mini-rant ahead: Electronics. Simply put, I have a love-hate relationship with it... I love the potential, and I hate the reality.

Case in point: Every computer and PDA I've ever owned! Not one of them has not given me headaches and sleepless nights, trying to get it to do something that it was designed to do... that the manufactured said it could do... but it stubbornly refused to do!

I just spent last night trying to repair a problem with my PDA refusing to sync my Notes with Outlook. By the time midnight hit, I had uninstalled and reloaded ActiveSync twice, restored my PDA from backups 4 times, finally did a hard reset, and ended up in exactly the same no-notes-sync situation... but now ActiveSync won't sync at all, meaning I get to start over from scratch when I get home! Aargh!

Just bought a new laptop, my old one was getting long in the tooth. Try as I might, I can't get it to connect with my home wireless network.

Just set up a new PC... same notation on old one as the laptop. Setup and configuration of new SW (to replace old SW that won't run properly on the new OS) is being slowed up by the aforementioned problems with Comcast (Comcast! Sloowwwly I turned...).

This may be one of the reasons I like science fiction so much... it presents me with a future where they got all that electronic stuff to work...
Actually, just for a touch of reality, you should include a computer crash at the most annoying time possible to show the resolve and wits of your main character. That or to show how your character is completely dependent on faulty equipment and needs to learn to make do. Just a thought.

I actually had to read a **gasp!** real book last night because the publisher decided that e-booking the first and third books in a series would be amusing.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote