View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
...I needed a break but wanted to stay with the Great War, so I immediately began reading Of Love and War by the historian Paul Doherty. It is a mystery set immediately after the war, but with flashbacks of life in the trenches. It was as though Eksteins wrote about what happened and Doherty wrote 'and here's an example'. Powerful. In fact, I now need a couple of days R&R from the Great War to replenish my Kleenex supply and think of something pleasant.
Interesting you should say that. Today I finally bought The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman, largely on the strength of the comment that forefront in Kennedy's mind during the Cuban Missile Crisis was his familiarity with that book and the knowledge of how small incidents quickly escalated into The Great War.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote