View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #47
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm hearing this more often from people, but I believe that it is more psychological than physiological. The perceived (screen resolution + viewing distance) pixel density of an LCD screen on a laptop or desktop is lower than these supposed low PPI tablet screens, and yet nobody was claiming "notebook screens 1024 x 600 (or 768) resolution were completely unreadable for me."

But then again, maybe man has evolved over the last decade or so to have more sensitive eyesight.

Pixel density was not an issue until Apple claimed that it was when the introduced their "Retina" displays.
Pixel density was an issue for me long before Apple introduced the retina display. One reason why I went with a Droid 1 when I did was the pixel density.

I read a lot of comics and magazines on my tablet, and as even a 10.1" tablet has a smaller screen than the printed page, the text is always shrunken. While there is obviously a point at which diminishing returns does kick in, higher pixel density makes small text more legible. This is particularly important in comics where the page structure can be an important part of the experience so it may be necessary to view the entire page and read the dialogue at the same time.

Higher pixel density produces crisper text which is easier to read, especially at smaller font sizes.

As for the pixel density vs. distance argument, I do hold my high density displays much closer to my eyes than I place my monitors. My main work monitor is only 90ppi, but I generally sit about 40 inches (1m) away from it, so I don't really notice the low density. I also generally bump up the text size by 50% as well.

For me, high density displays are very important and have been for years. It does make a difference.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote