View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
I'd like to make a report that Geekmaster's tool worked for me! My formerly dead Kindle is now in Diags mode!!
The only discrepancy on my particular system (which is Windows XP SP3) is that when I booted the Kindle into recovery mode it did not pop up a message identifying it as new hardware. So I went and found it in the Device Manager (under Human Interface Devices -> USB Human Interface Device) and found that it already had a driver associated with it, apparently from Microsoft. I tried to replace it with the driver in the Mfgtools directory, imxusb.inf, but got the message "Specified location doesn't include information about your hardware". Luckily Mfgtools worked anyway (after one attempt failed because I was overly hasty and it was in low battery mode - so for anyone as silly as me, make sure it's charged first).
I added comments in the text and pictures that the supplied Windows Device drivers should be used ONLY if needed. Some versions of Windows install these automatically. EDIT: I removed the Windows device drivers and other unused stuff from the combined download package after reading the MfgTool source code EULA, so it is smaller to download and simpler to install. Instructions and screen captures have been updated as well.

Also, if your kindle battery is empty and will not charge, it appears to charge faster while in fastboot mode. You can just reboot your computer when done, and it will boot to its previously save bootmode.

You can recover a damaged kindle from Diagnostics mode by mounting the root partition and replacing missing or damaged files on it. You can also replace the root partition with a copy of a backup image file.

To recover from a full /var/local (collections database too large), you can delete files in /var/local, or you can copy /dev/zero onto /dev/mmcblk0p3 to destroy /var/local, and the next reboot will create a fresh empty /var/local.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-21-2012 at 12:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote